Wednesday, January 12, 2011

You can't turn a parked car

When I first thought about being a stay at home mom, the other thought that quickly came was to home school my children. The thought of trying to home school my children on my own seemed very overwhelming. Their education is so important that I thought I wouldn't be able to do it any justice. Therefore I was considering an online e-learning school. This way I had both the curriculum in front of me as well as the accountability to make sure I was on track.

As I considered this more, I was a little concerned at trying to keep up three kids all in different grades and log enough time etc. A local radio host recently switched to homeschooling her children and talked on her blog about the curriculum coming and all. I started to think, well if I can get an entire curriculum, then that will be my guidance and ensure my kids are "keeping up with their grade".

The other benefit to traditional homeschooling is that I could put my older boys on the same curriculum. Currently, one is in first grade and the other in second. But my first grader is already reading at a third grade level and basically breezing through first grade. I would consider putting both of them on a third grade curriculum.

I had lunch with a good friend of mine last week to discuss homeschooling and what she does with her children. I started researching curriculum's and homeschooling conferences. I am learning more and more and will continue to post things that impact us here.

So that is the direction we are heading in now.... homeschooling our children next year. I'm still relying on God for wisdom and guidance but figure it's a lot easier to steer a moving car. If I move in the direction I feel that God is leading, I can trust that He will turn me if I'm going the wrong way rather than staying still until I'm sure one way or another. As I've heard it before, "You can't turn a parked car".

No comments: