Thursday, January 20, 2011

Home Based Businesses

Welcome to the roller coaster! Last night was a rough night, but after a little crying and encouragement from people I love, I feel much better.

So about a month ago, I got invited to a friends house for a Jewelery party. I told her I had no extra money cause we were saving so stringently. My friend encouraged me to come just to fellowship with old friends.

The "jeweler", also a friend of mine, went through her spiel on the jewelery and how you too can have a home business. The main gist of the business portion was that you can make an extra $1000 a month selling jewelery.

Afterwards, I was hanging out with the girls and explaining to another friend what was going on in my life. I proceeded to tell her how I planned to quit, but our budget was $1000 short.

Ding!

My mind immediately made the connection to the jewelery presentation. At this point, I just thought, how interesting, but really nothing further than that.

A few weeks later, our au pair hosted a jewelery party booked off the first one. Again the thought entered my head, but anyone who knows me knows I don't wear jewelery. So again I just let the thought pass.

Two weeks ago, I hosted a girls night for some old friends that went to a bible study I used to go to (the one I met my husband at, actually). I was chatting with my friends about homeschooling and trying to raise extra money, again the selling jewelery came up.

I started to think, hmm, Lord? Are you trying to tell me something.

In the meantime, my pastor's wife gave me a book: 1/2 Price Living by Ellie Kay. One of the chapters is about home based businesses. She specifically mentions Premiere Designs in this chapter (later she mentions others), the jewelery company I am speaking of above. I'm not one for "signs", so again I just thought it was interesting.

Tuesday night, my friend, the "jeweler" called and invited me to go to an informational meeting about Premiere Designs. At this point, I figured it can't hurt to gather more information about it. So I went.

In the book (1/2 Price Living), Ellie talks about finding your interests and researching what can be turned into a business. She has a little chart to list out 3 -4 potential options for home based work, start up costs, weekly time commitment, pros, cons, etc. I started thinking about my potential home businesses. I have come up with the following four. I'm still working on the research for all of the other info I need.

1. Systems Consultant (process mapping, requirements gathering, software research, etc)
2. Video Editing
3. Premiere Designs
4. Teach piano lessons

I may end up with a combination of these.

I'll be commenting more on this book in future posts. Some other things have stuck out to me that are interesting.

Please pray for guidance as we continue to pursue so many things regarding this transition in our life. Also if you have any advice or thoughts on what we do... let me know!!!

No comments: