Thursday, January 6, 2011

Technology and Hope

So I think there's one more story that needs to be told before moving into current day stuff. I had spent the past five years of my career as a Business Systems Consultant (BSC). Prior to that, I was a programmer for 10 years. Being a BSC meant dealing a lot with people. I facilitated meetings, created processes, mapped processes, implemented solutions, dealt with organizational change management, the list goes on. I started finding myself missing the technical part of my programming job. Sure I was implementing new software solutions for our customers, but really dealing with the process and people parts of the project, not the inner workings of the software. I started looking for jobs in Information Technology (IT) within our company. What I did not know is that once you leave the IT department in our company, it's pretty hard to get back in. I had applied for numerous tranfer positions and none of them seemed to pan out.

A few months ago, around August, a Quality Assurance job came up on the job board. It fit my qualifications almost perfectly. I had been implementing Oracle eBusiness Suite modules (a software package supplied by Oracle) in my old position and this job was to test those pieces of software among others. I applied for the position and went through the interview process.

I got the job!

The reason this is something to mention is that my old position would not allow any part timers to work less than 4 days a week. I have considered trying to work 1-2 days a week to make up for the income we will be lacking, but that was never a possibility before. I'm not sure what this position holds, if I may have more opportunities for flexibility or not, but at least now I can hope! Plus I really love what I am doing again. It's fresh and new and right back in the technical world.

Even if it's just temporary and I do end up leaving, I still believe God's hand was in it all!

No comments: