Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Advice from the experts

I finished reading 1/2 Price Living by Ellie Kay. She had some good stuff to say. Two things that stuck out to me early in the book (that honestly kind of depressed me) were:
1. She highly recommends having a plan before going to one income.

We have a plan, but I felt as though maybe she was talking about more than what we have. Our "plan" still has a lot of unknowns. I think she would have thought we were crazy to consider going down to one income in our situation.

Anyway...
2. You should have 6 months of savings aside before quitting.

Ha! I'd never quit if we had to have that.

Oh the other thing she mentioned is that she recommends being out of consumer debt before going to one income. Again, we're a few years away from that.

So, are we crazy? At first I wondered. But a few days have passed and I still feel that this is what God is calling us to. I also feel that this year is the time. My knees are shaking just saying that!

I did get some good tips from the book as well. Her grocery tips were pretty interesting. I had no idea you could use store coupons and manufacturer coupons for the same item. (generally speaking)

My friend, Deborah, lent me Women Leaving the Workplace by Larry Burkett again. If you remember, that was the book that started this whole thing 5 years ago. It's amazing how a book can read SO differently depending on the time of your life and where you find yourself.

I plan on blogging more about the home based businesses and what I'm getting out of Larry's book too.

No comments: