Thursday, March 17, 2011

Facing the Red Sea

Today I feel like Moses. God called him with a job to do. Moses was nervous and God provided clear signs to both Moses, Pharaoh and others that this was God's plan. Finally, Moses leads the Israelites out of Egypt. Now they are wandering through the desert and Pharaoh's men start chasing them, and then they hit the Red Sea. I wonder what Moses was thinking, "are you kidding, Lord?".

Actually I think in one way Moses had to know the Red Sea was coming. I would think a big body of water like that wouldn't be a big surprise. So then I think, what was Moses thinking leading up to the Red Sea? Did he have a backup plan? Or did he just know that God would provide one way or another?

So why am I facing the Red Sea? My Red Sea is that my husbands hours just got reduced to part time. Beginning in April, he will only be working 3 days a week. His performance is good, but business is slow and he is the low man on the totem pole. This obviously cuts our income in the short term as well as seems to derail our long term plans.

I kind of don't know what to think. Is this another plan of Satan's to divert us? Should I start moving forward with a backup plan?

I decided to read the story of Moses and the Israelites again today. To be honest, I was surprised to see Moses' reaction. When the Egyptians were closing in and the Israelites were panicking and getting mad at Moses, here's what Moses said:

Exodus 14:13-14 But Moses said to the people, "Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the Lord which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever. The Lord will fight for you while you keep silent."

Moses had complete faith that God would continue to deliver them. The whole reason God did this is so "I will be honored through Pharaoh, through his chariots and his horsemen. Then the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord... " (vs 17 - 18)

Again my faith is reassured. God is faithful and others will know that HE IS THE LORD through whatever means He chooses to remedy this situation. I have to give God complete control! He will deliver us.

No comments: