Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Call

It was August of 2005, I was on a business trip to San Francisco. A friend had lent me the book called "Women Leaving the Workplace" by Larry Burkett.

I had thought about being a stay at home mom before, but our financial situation never allowed us to do so. I make a considerable amount more than my husband and our family could not support itself on his income alone. We were living in a house we designed and had built for us. Our life wasn't extravagant, but definitely comfortable. With three small children, we were able to eat out a few times a week and still take family vacations.

I was sitting on the plane with my boss just a few rows behind me and on the other side of the aisle none the less. He had a direct line of sight to my seat. I wanted to make sure he didn't see what book I was reading.

I started reading the book and over the next week, the Lord really placed a passion in me to be at home with my kids. I truly felt this was the call of the Lord for my life, not that I needed Larry Burkett's book to tell me that because the bible had already clearly stated it. But the Lord used that book to help me realize my role as a mother and a wife and how important it was to our family.

I talked with my husband during the week and after I got home. We agreed it was something we needed to start working towards. We had no idea where this journey would take us or what we would need to do to get there. We also had no idea how long it would take us. I made the foolish statement "It's not like this could take 10 years or anything, by then we would have missed the point". I now pray that it really doesn't take 10 years, because I surely did not expect that it would take the years that it already has.

This blog is to chronicle our journey both in the present and past events. God has worked in mighty ways to confirm our efforts and His calling for our lives.

No comments: