Thursday, December 9, 2010

A jump to the present

Ok, I hate to tear you away from the ongoing saga, but I have to jump to present events for a couple posts. I sigh a huge breath of relief as God has once again intervened for us.

My husband currently works for a local computer shop. I know, I know, this is a huge jump from the last post when he quit his job and was staying home. More on all the transpired events to come.

Last Friday, he was repairing a computer on which he did a fresh install of the operating system. Okay, anyone who just checked out because of the technical mumbo jumbo, stick with me! Basically, he made the computer like brand new. Cleaned off all the old stuff and got rid of all the junk. Well generally, you would want to do a backup of the system before you do something like this so that you can get important data back onto the clean computer. When he went to put the data back, he realized a backup was never made of this computer. He had wiped everything clean without saving the old stuff. Early afternoon, he informed his manager of the data loss. For a small business, this is like your worst nightmare.... lost data is the stuff that people file suit for. His manager was pretty hot and sent my husband home early. Obviously having my husband come home early rose my suspicions immediately. When he told me what happened my heart just sunk.

I knew in this moment, I had to hold in everything I was feeling and just be completely supportive. I told him God has a plan and everything would be okay. Inside, I was thinking "oh no, where will we go from here". At this point, my husband didn't even know if he still had a job come Monday.

He called his boss and left a message. About 20 mins later, which seemed like FOREVER, his manager called and said to come in Monday and start fresh. The manager, the owner of the company and my husband would discuss what to do on Tuesday.

Monday, my husband went to work. His back was bothering him immensely and he was all tensed up. I could understand why.

They have some tricks in the computer business to get data off of hard drives. Basically the data doesn't actually get "removed", it just tells the computer that it is reusable again so new information can be written over it. They tried to get the data off with no success.

My husband called me at work to tell me they were going to send the hard drive to a local company that actually takes the drive apart and tries to physically get the data off the drive. This could cost upwards of $1000 and we would have to foot the bill. Wow, was that like a lose/lose situation or what??? Lose your job if the data is unrecoverable or have to pay $1000!

I didn't know what else to do but pray. My husband prayed. The owner of the company prayed. My parents prayed. I think everyone wanted this to work out for good.

I have to admit in the middle of this I lost all hope. My faith that God could move in our long term situation was temporarily gone. Funny how changes in what you see can immediately sway your spiritual vision.

Tuesday, the manager called the customer, which I believe was a small business, to find out what data was absolutely necessary to get off the hard drive. That way this other company could focus on that first. The customer said they didn't need any of it. Did you hear that??? They didn't need ANY of the data. Holy cow! My husband's manager was shocked.

My husband got to share the great news with the owner, who said "for such a big guy, you sure did dodge that bullet". Everyone praised the Lord that the situation worked out better than we could have imagined. God is faithful once again!

No comments: